Friday, February 17, 2023

The Big Idea (How It Happened)

So last night I was watching My Bloody Valentine (2009), sometimes titled My Bloody Valentine 3D, and I had a great idea. I thought that I should make my horror movie inspired by those trashy 2000s horror movies, especially horror movie remakes like My Bloody Valentine or Rob Zombie's Halloween.

                       

...and then the second idea that completed the vision hit me just a few moments ago. 

I was writing an upcoming blog post while listening to music and I happened to be listening to the Teen Beach Movie soundtrack (I promise that this is an important detail).


That got me thinking about meta movies.  A movie being "meta" is actually a pretty broad term. The literal definition is "(of a creative work) referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential." 

I can actually use 2 different Wes Craven films to show two extremes of what could be considered meta. On the lower end, there's Scream, which often references and comments on the tropes of the horror genre.




 And on the other extreme end, there's Wes Craven's New Nightmare, where Freddy Kreuger is brought into the real world through the power of storytelling and fan support (yes, that's literally how it happens), and goes after Heather Langenkamp, the real life actress who played Nancy in the original A Nightmare on Elm Street.


Before I get too off-topic, I'll just write down the synopsis for the movie I'm calling "Double Feature":

"Two teens get stuck in a 2000s remake of an 80s horror classic, and have to find a way back home before the movie reaches its conclusion."

Sounds cool, right?

Now allow me to explain how Teen Beach Movie inspired this idea. I don't want to keep you hanging for too long!

Teen Beach Movie happens to be one of my favorite movies of all time (here's my Letterboxd profile to

prove it), so it's safe to say that I think about it and am inspired by it often. In that movie, "two young surfers are swept away by a huge wave, finding themselves acting out a real-life version of the 1960s film `Wet Side Story'. When their presence derails the movie's intended plot, they must set things right in order to return home."

Whenever I'm thinking of story ideas I've already tried to think of ways to implement concepts I first saw in this movie, and I think "Double Feature" is the perfect place to do that.

In my next blog post, I'll outline my general idea for the plot. I want to do it in a separate blog post in order to keep things more organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 Here are the links to everything! https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SKsMa-Fy9FMj7owrlTmjCE7qMXbge9PB https://twitter.com/DoubleFtrMovie