Friday, March 10, 2023

Posters




In the poster for Last Night in Soho, the first thing you notice is how it's split in half. If you look closer and follow the line to the bottom of the image you'll see that the split is actually a crack in the glass. The next thing you'll likely notice is the consistent color scheme of red and blue. Not only is the poster split into blue and red halves, but all the text, the title, and the production logos follow the same color scheme. The red color also works really well with the rain on the glass as on the red side it evokes blood.





(I included the official poster and an alternate version that I like better and inspired me more, but I'll mostly be talking about the official poster)

In the poster for The Final Girls, the first thing you notice is that everything is illustrated (or at least edited to look like it's illustrated). The poster shows all of the main characters, the location, and the killer in what I feel is an appealing way. There are many posters that try to show all of these elements that don't look nearly as good (aka "floating head posters").

                                                                   (alternate version)




(this one isn't THAT bad, but I chose it to show a recent example of a floating head poster for a horror movie)


Another important element of the poster is the small review, which in this case comes from Sam Raimi. Having a positive quote from an established source lends credibility to the movie and might convince fans of the person giving the quote to watch the movie.

These examples inspired me as I really wanted to have my poster to have some sort of split but I didn't really know how to visualize it. Obviously, the alternate version of The Final Girls' poster with the killer slicing the poster is a reference to this iconic poster from Jason Takes Manhattan, but seeing a similar design being used for this film helped to connect the dots in terms of what I wanted to do for my poster.

In a previous blog post, I wrote out my idea for a poster, but after researching some more I think I have a better idea.

As also mentioned in another previous blog post, I will also be creating 2 separate posters that would be seen within the movie, but now I'm thinking I can incorporate some of the elements from those posters into my main poster. I really like the visual of the machete cutting through the poster, so I'm thinking I'll continue my idea of having my poster split in half using that same effect.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 Here are the links to everything! https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SKsMa-Fy9FMj7owrlTmjCE7qMXbge9PB https://twitter.com/DoubleFtrMovie